Hello and Welcome,
With so many options it can be difficult to decide where to begin. Whatever the reason that led you here, I am glad you have decided to reach out. Allow me to tell you a little about myself.
I made the decision to become a psychologist when I was about 15 years old. At that age I witnessed someone close to me experience the positive effects of psychotherapy, an effect that reached even those people surrounding that person, myself included. I knew then that I too wanted to do something as meaningful and of benefit to others as that psychologist had done. As a first-generation immigrant, I grew up bilingual and bicultural, and my special interest in topics related to immigrants grew as I experienced first-hand the struggles and rewards of growing up as an immigrant.
I have professional training in individual, couples/family, group counseling, and supervision. Over the years, I received specialized training and experience working with concerns related to trauma and other adverse life events, including severe childhood abuse and neglect. Throughout my graduate education, my research was centered around issues related to undocumented immigrants and this topic continues to be of special interest to me.
I obtained a doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Counseling Psychology from the University of Northern Colorado (accredited by the American Psychological Association) in Greeley, Colorado and a Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about me. I look forward to meeting you.
– Dr. Karina Samaniego Estrada
- Licensed Psychologist in Texas, #37394
- EMDR: Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Certified Therapist
- PCIT: Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Certified Therapist
- TF-CBT: Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Certified Therapist
- Gottman Leader of The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work Couples Program
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- APA Division 53: Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA)